Please read through the following information before registering for 2019-2021 KINDLE: Finishing Well. When you are ready to register, you will find that information at the end of this page.
THE FINISHING WELL EXPERIENCE
The subtitle to this KINDLE initiative says it all: Leaving a Legacy of Multiplying Christ-like Servant Leaders. This exciting two-year learning cycle, plus a “year after” virtual experience, is designed to inspire and equip participants to dedicate themselves to implementing processes and relationships inside and outside of their congregation that will foster and multiply Christ-like servant leaders.
While emphasizing knowledge, skills, and attitudes that enhance the lives and capabilities of participants, a significant part of this two-year experience, plus the “year after” virtual experience, centers on leaving a legacy of people who become Christ-like servant leaders in their congregation, home, workplace, community, and the world. At the same time, KINDLE: Finishing Well will help participants to create a Ministry Area Cultivation Map that will inspire and focus them as they serve in their final years.
The KINDLE: Finishing Well curriculum will also support the development of four major emphases, the KINDLE Strands, in the lives of participants and those that they serve:
- Cultivating Faith
- Cultivating Health
- Cultivating Individuals
- Cultivating Groups
Supplementing the four learning events will be weekly virtual support and accountability calls with the participant’s Legacy Circle.
BENEFITS TO THE PARTICIPANTS
The Finishing Well design will be based on the tools, resources, and processes developed by KINDLE over the past decade. With this understanding, participants in this KINDLE initiative will:
- Reflect thankfully on God’s faithfulness and grace in their career and move forward courageously.
- Nurture and foster a vibrant relationship with Jesus Christ as they actively live out their vocation as a baptized child of God.
- Be more committed to and capable of living out the grace-filled marks of a Christ-like servant leader: obedience, well-being, leadership, and community.
- Be equipped with tools, processes, and resources that will enable them to foster and multiply Christ-like servant leaders in their ministry areas.
- Have the processes and resources to establish an ongoing Christ-like servant leader development process in their ministry areas.
- Experience uplifting worship (three times daily), fellowship, and instruction each day of an on-site learning event.
- Possess renewed energy and focus for the latter years of their public ministry, including a plan that prepares them to transition out of full-time ministry.
- Have a network of individuals at a similar place in their professional career who can serve as a source of encouragement, accountability, and ministry resources.
BENEFITS TO THE PARTICIPANT’S CONGREGATION
When you attend KINDLE: Finishing Well, the congregation and those you serve will gain a staff member who is:
- More confident and intentional in carrying out their ministry responsibilities.
- Determined to optimize their final years of ministry by centering on leaving a legacy of multiplying Christ-like Servant Leaders.
- Able to serve as a staff resource regarding how to identify, invite, apprentice, and multiply Christ-like Servant Leaders.
- Focused on using Christ-like Servant Leader practices with a missional spirit that reaches out to those who do not follow Jesus.
- Able to coach lay leaders in their pursuit of being a Christ-like Servant Leader in their congregation, home, workplace, community, and the world.
- Committed to pursuing ongoing processes within their ministry areas that heighten the importance of Christ-like servant leading.
- More skilled in creating a Christ-like servant leadership development process that launches congregational lay people into ministry within the congregation, home, workplace, community, and the world.
KINDLE: Finishing Well participants will normally meet the following qualifications:
- Be at least 50 years of age or older.
- Have at least ten years of full-time, non-ordained ministry experience in a congregational setting.
- Desire to mature as a Christ-like servant leader.
- Be committed to equipping others as Christ-like servant leaders.
- Be serving in a stable congregational situation in which there is a supportive pastoral teammate.
- Possess self-directed learning readiness that can be optimized through KINDLE tools, processes, and resources.
KINDLE: Finishing Well Associate will commit him/herself to:
- Participate fully in the four learning events during the two-year Learning Cycle plus the six “year after” conference calls.
- Purchase and read assigned learning materials.
- Have access, and the ability, to use the internet, chat rooms and other electronic modalities, such as Zoom, Google Hangout, etc.
- Pursue a growth plan designed to deepen your capacity to be a Christ-like servant leader.
- Be a positive, open, regular participant in your weekly legacy circle calls.
- Develop and live out your Ministry Area Cultivation Map.
- Equip other leaders for ministry in their congregation, home, workplace, and community.
- Organize and lead, during the two year learning cycle, at least one servant leader gathering experience in each of the four quarters, and at least one servant leader cluster in three of the quarters.
- Launch a servant leader development process in your ministry area(s).
- Respond quickly to requests for assessment and evaluation of Finishing Well-related activities.
- Support KINDLE financially and by public testimony.
- Pray for KINDLE, the Finishing Well training team, and your Finishing Well colleagues.
An Additional Comment on KINDLE’s “Year After”
The congregations that KINDLE: Finishing Well participants (referred to as Associates) serve are all unique. As a result, the implementation of KINDLE’s concepts, processes, and resources needs to be done in a thoughtful, timely and consistent manner. In the process of impacting their ministry areas, KINDLE Associates have valued the support, wisdom and accountability that results from regular contact with their peers.
The “year after” experience is designed to provide Associates an ongoing opportunity to support, learning from, and be accountable to a special group of people who understands each others’ ministry, and prayerfully seek to encourage one another’s efforts to leave a congregational-based legacy of fostering and multiplying Christ-like servant leaders. As noted earlier these six, two-hour conference calls will focus on a curriculum designed to re-enforce the implementation of KINDLE tools, processes, and resources in the Associate’s ministry areas.
Because of the intimate, and process-oriented, learning design, KINDLE: Finishing Well enrollment is limited to no more than 20 participants in a Learning Cycle.
- Early registration (November 15, 2018-March 31, 2019) is $3,000.
- Regular registration (April 1-May 15, 2019) is $3,300.
- A deposit of $300 is due with your online registration.
- The final registration deadline is May 15, 2019.
Payment of Registration Fee
KINDLE offers three options for the payment of the remainder of the registration fees:
- Full balance due on August 15, 2019
- 50% due on August 15, 2019 and August 15, 2020
- 25% due on August 15, 2019, January 15, 2020, August 15, 2020, and January 15, 2021
The registration fee includes all program expenses, materials, lodging, and meals during the learning events. It does not include: transportation to and from each learning event and the purchase of required study materials (i.e., books), which are the responsibility of the participant.
Cancellation requests must be received by August 15, 2019. Refunds for cancellation will be processed with $100 of the deposit remaining with KINDLE to cover administrative costs. After August 15, 2019, the entire deposit will remain with KINDLE.
Recognizing the large financial investment which is necessary to provide this high-level educational experience, the loss of a participant is felt financially as well as within the learning community. If a KINDLE Associate withdraws after the first Learning Event has taken place, the KINDLE Associate and the congregation will be responsible for all remaining unpaid registration fees as agreed upon via the Financial Commitment Form.
External Support Keeps Registration Fee Low
As a result of gracious gifts from individual donors and various organizations, particularly LCMS congregations, its own endowment and living legacies, KINDLE is able to keep the registration fee at $3,300 rather than the approximate $5,500 per participant cost. KINDLE is grateful to all of these individuals and groups, especially to Wheat Ridge Ministries, who provided a generous start-up grant, and to Thrivent Financial whose remarkable support over the past decade has enabled KINDLE to innovate in ways that enhance the ministry of congregations in their communities and the world.
Learning Event Schedule and Location
Should you be accepted into the Finishing Well Learning Cycle, it is imperative that you block your calendar for four learning events. Being a Finishing Well participant means you attend the entire learning event! The learning events are held at the Conference Center of the University of St. Mary of the Lake in Mundelein, Illinois unless otherwise noted.
The Learning Cycle will meet on the following dates:
- September 16-19, 2019
- February 17-20, 2020
- September 21-24, 2020
- February 1-4, 2021
Each Learning Event begins at 5:00 p.m. on Monday and concludes by 12:00 noon on Thursday.
The “year after” calls will take place between June 2021 and May 2022. Each circle of Associates and its coach will be responsible to set the times of the contacts.
Pre- and Post-Learning Cycle Assignments and Assessment
Participants will be sent their assessment instruments plus assignment materials and reading list after registration closes on May 15, 2019. The assessment instruments are to be returned by August 15, 2019.
During the final week of May 2021 after all assessment materials have been completed, participants will a) engage in a closing ritual with their Circle; b) have a “closure conversation” with the Dean of KINDLE: Finishing Well; and c) be eligible to receive their KINDLE Associate certificate.
1. Complete your registration information here.
2. Submit a deposit of $300 (due with your online registration) online here or by check to KINDLE, 8608 Poplar Bridge Curve, Bloomington, MN 55437.
3. Complete a one-page statement that addresses the following three questions; each in 50 words or less:
- Describe how you envision your next five-to-ten years of public ministry unfolding.
- Outline what more you would like to learn about being a Christ-like servant leader.
- Outline your current efforts to create a consistent leadership development process in your ministry areas (if you have not created or attempted one, simply state that as the case).
4. Submit two recommendations. One is to be from your current pastor and the other is to be from a congregation leader in your ministry are (other than a staff member). Give these individuals this link to submit their recommendations online: https://airtable.com/shr0qTXA0SGo6BCjQ
Thank you for registering for 2019-2020 KINDLE: Finishing Well!
If you have any questions, please contact Diane Schuessler, KINDLE Operations Coordinator at diane@KINDLEservantleaders.org or 952-657-5664.